Saturday, January 9, 2010

Neutrals, Tones, and Shades (Palette Dyeing)


In the past week I have been dyeing more wool to finish up my Palette Dyeing. I am learning Neutrals (equal amounts of complimentary colors), Tones (color plus grey), and Shades (color plus black). It is so exciting to see the colors that are created using the color palette that I chose. This is a picture of my Neutrals; two values of red and green, two of blue and orange, and two of yellow and violet. Each is so unique.

Next are my Tones. I used a yellow-green in value #2 with 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, and 1 tsp. of my grey dye mixture (grey dye used was Pro Chem Mouse Grey). The top swatch is the original color.

Here is what it looks like on my Color Rug.

Last are my swatches of Shade. I used value #2 of red-orange with 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, and 1 tsp. of my black dye mixture (Pro Chem Black). The first swatch is my original color.

Here is what it looks like in my rug.

I really thought that dyeing Neutrals, Tones, and Shades would be boring but I was quite surprised at the results. I really like the Shades and can see where it would add a lot of depth to hooking a rug.

3 comments:

  1. Your colors are beautiful. I am picturing some great rugs with those colors. I think learning to dye adds a whole new dimension to a rug hookers creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so very interesting to see what can be done with dyeing our own wool! The results are wonderful! Thanks for sharing, that alone is a lot of work! Cathy G

    ReplyDelete