Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Palette Dyeing with April DeConick

On Rug Hooking Daily, I am taking a virtual rug camp on April DeConick's 'Palette Dyeing' technique. It is an intensive study on color and dyeing colors in 8 values. It is so fabulous . . . I am learning volumes and I've just begun.
Here is my first attempt. It is very mottled, but I was so thrilled at my sample.

I tried my hand at mixing my own formulas with the Pro-Chem dyes that I had on hand. Each set looked like brown to me. I had red brown, yellow brown, green brown, and a brown brown. However, look at what my red brown and green brown dyes produced . . .







In upcoming weeks we will be dyeing the color wheel. I'm looking forward to that!

2 comments:

  1. So happy to have just found you this morning. Love the hooking projects, especially your doggie.
    I am a 2 year rug hooker, but have not tried dyeing wool as I work in a rug hooking store, and the owner does all our dyeing.
    Saltboxprimitivewoolens.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Katie. Dyeing wool can be very addictive. I was always tried to steer away for it, but now I really enjoy seeing the how the colors that turn out.

    ReplyDelete